OSHA’s Recordkeeping Rule

Employers with more than 10 employees are required to keep a record of serious work-related injuries and illnesses. These industries are also required to post their OSHA 300A logs annually, from February 1st thru April 30th.  Note: Certain low risk industries are exempted (see list).

Additionally, employers with more than 250 employees (and higher risk industries with 50-249 employees) are required to submit their forms electronically (before July 1, 2018). The Injury Tracking Application (ITA) is accessible from the ITA launch page, where you can provide the Agency your 2017 OSHA Form 300A information.

Q&A with Assurance Safety Consulting

Q: What does OSHA consider to be a “serious work-related injury”?

A: OSHA classifies these injuries as “OSHA Recordables”. An OSHA Recordable meets the following criteria:

  • Any work-related fatality.
  • Any work-related injury or illness that results in loss of consciousness, days away from work, restricted work, or transfer to another job.
  • Any work-related injury or illness requiring medical treatment beyond first aid.
  • Any work-related diagnosed case of cancer, chronic irreversible diseases, fractured or cracked bones or teeth, and punctured eardrums.
  • There are also special recording criteria for work-related cases involving: needlesticks and sharps injuries; medical removal; hearing loss; and tuberculosis.


Q: How can I access the Injury Tracking Application (ITA)?

A: The Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) will notify and provide a link to access the database.


Q: How do I know if my company is considered “high risk”?

A: BLS will notify employers of 50-249 employees if their industry is determined to of “high risk” via certified mail.


Q: How do I determine what industry I work in?

A: OSHA uses the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) to determine your industry. Most cases, you can also use your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC).


For further questions please contact your OSHA Regional Office or preferably Assurance Safety Consulting!